One individual life may be of priceless value to God's purposes, and yours may be that life.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Unlit Candles: Part 1

Tonight at my church’s Good Friday service, we experienced different aspects of Jesus’ death on the cross. We tasted vinegar and asked Jesus to be with us in the bitter times of our lives. We held a branch of thorns and reflected on the crown of thorns Jesus wore. We torn a piece of cloth and remembered that through Jesus’ death, we no longer had to be separated from God.

But the final station is where God spoke to my heart. Each person lit a votive candle and placed the candles on a table. I sat and watched the room begin to glow with light. But that’s not what I really noticed. As I sat, listening to the people around me sing the lines, “Amazing love, how can it be? That you my King would die for me?” I looked at the candles on the table that had not been lit. And I thought about the places on earth that still have not seen the light Jesus brings. There are people who don’t celebrate Good Friday. Not because they choose not to, but because they’ve never heard the Good News. And my heart broke for them.

Perhaps I got to experience just a little of what Jesus felt as he stood on the hill overlooking Jerusalem for the last time before his crucifixion. Jesus didn’t see the magnificent temple or hundreds of people and animals busily milling around the streets. He saw the hearts of people who were hurting, people who were empty; hearts covered by darkness. And he wept over the city.

How often do our hearts break for people living in darkness? People who have no hope? How often do we weep for the lost and the least of this world? Too often I am content to sing about how Jesus died for me, but I fail to bring that wonderful message to others who desperately need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment